How to Paint Your Walls Black
I love black walls. Not only are they glamorous, dramatic and brooding, but they create a fantastic backdrop for your home furnishings. In fact, we've got a few tips right here on when to transform your walls with a can of black paint. But how to do it without looking like you're living in a cave? Here are a few important tips to follow with a bit of help from eHow.com:
1. Make sure your walls are well prepped, as chips and impressions will show up easily on dark walls. Make your walls smooth or add a textured coat.
2. Use a matte black paint over your prepped walls. Gloss or semi-gloss paint will highlight any imperfections.
3. Paint one wall at a time. Most rooms will benefit from having only one or two walls painted black. Too much black wall space can become over-powering.
4. Leave ceilings white or light-colored since a dark ceiling will appear lower and more claustrophobic.
5. Accent black walls with white or light colored trim, wall hangings, fixtures or other white or contrasting décor so the black becomes a backdrop.
6. Use light colors or metallics to furnish a black-walled room. Again, contrast can use the black wall to its best advantage.
7. Remember that painting over a black wall will require several coats for full coverage, so make sure you know which wall(s) you want to paint before experimenting.
That's it --- go paint your town black!
Photo Credit: Flickr/marie-ll